11.20.2007

SINGLE MOTHERS

OMG! I am so hooked on Keyshia Cole's reality show "The Way It Is." Last week's episode was about her mother Frankie going to the Mary Hall Freedom house in Georgia. She went to share with the women about her struggles with drugs and how it affected her and her children. Hearing her talk reminded me of how I grew up in a single parent home without my dad. He was on drugs and alcohol all my life. He was clean for the past three years and just relapsed. I watched my mother struggle to be "SUPER WOMAN" as most single mom's do to make ends meet. She had two and three jobs to give me and my brother the finer things in life. Growing up without my dad in my home has affected me, however, not something that I use as an excuse to be a victim.

What are your thoughts? Are you a single mother who is raising your children on your own because their mother or father isn't handling their responsibilities? Do you have family members like my dad and Keyshia's mom?

For all of the single mother's out there. Here's a Prayer That Keeps It Real (PTKIR) for you to take with you today.

Check this out.


Prayers That Keep It Real for: For Single Mother’s

Real Talk: My goal is not to bash men but some of you are a pain. You don’t take care of your responsibilities and you expect your children to understand. You pay child support, but that was only after I had to take you to court three times. You can’t just settle for paying child support. What about spending time with your children? You are truly missing out.

God you have got to be kidding me. You know me, I am not cut out to raise these kids by myself, so why on earth did you allow this to happen? I can’t do it. I am not strong enough, I don’t make enough money and these kids are going to drive me crazy. They need too much. It’s only one of me. I am so drained at the end of the day. I give out to them and I never get anything in return.

They are too young for me to voice how I feel because they wouldn’t even understand. Why did this happen to me? I did everything right. It was their dad that was that left his family. So, why am I being punished again? I had to go and get another job just to make ends meet. Now, I can’t even attend my children’s extra-curricular activities or parent teacher conferences because I am at work. I can tell that my kids have low self-esteem because their father isn’t there. But, you didn’t create me to be the mother and the father. However, I will be the best mother I can.

God, I am so exhausted from crying every night to you. My girlfriends still have their husbands and I get jealous of them because they are no better than me. Why didn’t I marry a man who had some sense? Was I stuck on stupid or what? Why does it seem like my life is such a fluke.

Okay, let me get myself together. Man up girl, man up! God, all I can do is take one day at a time, right? I give all of this worry and stress back to you. It’s too heavy for me to carry. I need you to take care of my kids and me. Help me to hold and not give up. Help me not to hold any grudges against my ex-husband because I do want to get married again at some point. I don’t want to carry any garbage in my next relationship. Keep me in check God. You are my man right now. Date me, talk to me, pray for me, all of that.

I want my children to have 100% of their mommy. I don’t want to cheat them in anyway. I love them so much. I don’t know how to be a mommy, after all, you didn’t provide a manual for that you know? ☺ But, I know you are with me, even when it feels like you are not. So, do what you do best and help me to make it through this day.

Your Desperate Daughter,
The Single Mother

Copywritten 2007

6 comments:

BK said...

I feel you chica!!! Wow that WAS REAL TALK..

KimPossible said...

LOL! I knew you would like it Mami.

Keep in touch!

KimPossible

A Beautifulstruggle said...

Girl I had to stop watching Keyshia Cole cause I was looking in the mirror. I am Keyshia, my sister is Neff and my mother is Frankie-except I lost my mother last year on my son's second birthday to a eleven year battle of HIV. But every now and again somebody will call me like "girl turn on Keyshia-she remind me so much of you and your peeps." Love this blog, so inspirational and Lord knows I need it.

~A~

KimPossible said...

Andrea,

LMTO! Girl, that is too funny. I know you are serious. My father just stopped using drugs about a year ago. He had a relapse this summer but he is doing better. He is in a half-way house right now trying to stay on the straight and narrow. LOL!

I think I am Keyshia, my father is Frankie and my brother is Neffe. LOL! I am sure that is why I am really drawn to the show because it resembles my family.

Stay strong babe. My Aunt died of HIV. She was strung out on drugs. She and my dad used together. However, this was my mother's sister. She was a prostitute as well. She was on the street one day and got in the car with a man. He raped her and then ran over her with his truck. He broke her pelvic bone and that is when we found out she had HIV. The doctor didn't think she would live to see the next day. After she got out of the hospital she moved in with my mother and I could hardly stand to go and see her. I literally saw her deteriorate right before my eyes. I was so sad for her and her children. One of her daughters had just lost her father to drug overdose and then my Aunt died a few months after.

Girl, we need to go out and do some public speaking!

KEEP IN TOUCH!
KimPossible

Anonymous said...

kim, i couldn't thank yu enough for the encouragement and words of wisdom you left me with on my blog. thank you so much for standing with me in agreeement for my husband and my marriage. i believe every promise of God for us with all my heart. God is good. He was, He is and always will. and i know that He loves my husband. thank you, kim. God bless you as always.

KimPossible said...

Pia,

It is so good to hear from you. Let's keep in touch. Know, that this cyberspace friend is praying for you. Please keep in touch sis. Have an awesome time in Hong Kong. I am going to miss you and you aren't even gone yet. :)

Love,
KimPossible